Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 11, 2010

What exactly is Cushing's Disease?



"For I am the Lord, your God, who takes hold of your right hand and says to you, Do not fear; I will help you." Isaiah 41:13


This is a picture of me taken at my 31st birthday- just a couple of weeks ago on January 27th.- I really did not want a picture taken of me but it truly shows the reality of the affect cushing's disease has on one's appearance!


What is Cushing's Disease?

Well, I'll tell you about the kind I have:

It is a hormonal disorder caused by a benign pituitary tumor
This type is 5X more likely to affect women than men
It typically affects adults ages 20-50 years old
This is a very rare disorder
This tumor makes you over produce cortisol throughout your body

What are the symptoms? (These are the ones I'm experiencing)

extreme fatigue
hair loss on head
more hair on body and face
weight gain upper part of body
skinny legs and arms
high blood sugar
muscle weakness
joint weakness/ pain
headaches
change in sleep patterns
mood changes
thin skin that easily bruises
short term memory loss

What is the solution?

Well, usually people with a pituitary adenoma causing cushing' s disease would have a surgery to take away the tumor- then they would gradually get better because the cause would be gone. The surgeries are done by very highly trained doctors- like at the Cleveland Clinic!

There is always a chance that further down the road it could come back or re- grow- but we will leave that to God!

Well, enough of the Cushing's talk-
I need to go cut up some carrots and celery for Ella's Heart Healthy Valentine's Party- " boring" as quoted by my husband Dan!
I'm going to let Ella sneek in some chocolates and lollipops!

No comments:

Post a Comment